Friday, November 15, 2013

Numbers Never Lie

I have mentioned in previous posts about my passion for weightlifting.  Outside of work and my family, the gym is where I have developed my strongest reputation at this stage of my life.  A majority of my thoughts and actions are constantly comprised of behaviors regarding anything workout related.  Because of this, I have developed a concrete reputation with those who share a common interest in the sport, as well as with those people outside the weight room.

One thing is for certain, I by no means consider myself an elite lifter.  I still have many concepts to learn and understand about lifting as well as recognize the physiological responses of the body to different forms of exercise.  At this point in time, I have merely begun to scratch the surface in regards to fathoming every aspect of the human body and its response to various stress loads.  I feel it is this that fuels my hunger for further knowledge.  Because of this, I have an ever increasing burning desire to push my body to optimal performance levels.  These are the reasons I have developed a strong reputation thus far, in the culture of weightlifting.

As aforementioned, I am far from the top rung of the metaphorical powerlifting ladder.  Nonetheless, I have still made a substantial amount of progress from when I first started in my freshmen year of college.  In this sport, reputation grows by numbers and dedication.  I understand this may be a bit superficial, but numbers don't lie, and in the weight room, numbers tend to hold a substantial weight in what truly matters.  In relation to my fellow students, I can lift a substantial amount of weight.  It even shocks them further when they find out that I am a former soccer player.  Us soccer players are supposed to be frail.  I love to push this stereotype.  The amount I lift is one way that I have gained my reputation.  However, this is not the only facet that brings a lifter respect.  A great lifter has to be humble, he or she has to be courteous and understand proper weight room etiquette so as not to be rude.  Everyone should have an opportunity to better themselves physically, and a great lifter has to acknowledge this.  A great lifter has to also make sacrifices, and has to be willing to help those who lack appropriate understanding.

From following these guidelines is where my reputation stems, and from regulating my behaviors on behalf these beliefs is how my reputation was born and continues to grow.  I have to eat constantly, and also have to continuously learn more about the sport.  My friends and family always see how strict I am with my diet, and through this my reputation enhances.  I make sacrifices, choosing to go to the gym instead of sleeping or going out, and through constantly pushing myself to my own limits I earn respect from others and increase my reputation as an avid powerlifter.

I do not always stray from behaviors that benefit me in the gym, but at times I do feel it is extremely necessary to indulge in other enjoyments of life.  Especially, since exercise is only a stimulus for growth.  The actual muscle-building comes through recovery.  In my opinion variety is the spice of life, and putting 100 percent of your time into one activity can burn you out, no matter how much you enjoy it.  When i stray from my usual behaviors, I for one become more lenient on my diet.  I eat out with friends, and enjoy lots of fatty and sugary foods that I do not eat very often.  Once in a while it feels amazing to taste these delicious treats.  This also keeps me sane, since eating a lot of the same foods everyday can be mentally exhausting.  Other days I sleep in and take extra days off the gym.  Instead of going through daily stretches and exercises, I partake in activities I have enjoyed since I was a child.  I play video games, and watch movies that make me laugh and smile.  This mental vacation from always thinking about the gym restores any lost motivation.  Once I choose to direct my attention again towards the weights, new motivation arises and I am increasingly excited to return to lifting.

An individual's reputation is important in life.  It provides a fundamental basis for how others perceive your behavior.  Only the individual can build his or her reputation, and it is up the that person whether they choose to sustain it or increase it further.

4 comments:

  1. I find it is so cool that you can keep working out and staying on your passion for weightlifting. I used to try work outs before because I wanted to look more fit, but I failed. I am really impressive about your persistence and I do believe you have built up strong reputation about your weightlifting attitudes and results. I believe your strategy that having some "cheat days" is essential in order to fulfill our psychological and physiological needs.

    I agree strongly with your conclusion that your reputation is largely determined by your own efforts; therefore, others can see your reputation and respect for your reputation. If I am going to build up my reputation some way in the future, I would like to use your strategy and attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I thoroughly appreciate the compliments. I will admit stubbornness was the seed behind my persistence. Like yourself, I also started lifting because I wanted to look more fit. I will be honest, a major reason I began this journey in the first place was because I was under the impression girls liked big muscles. The reasons I lift today are far different from where I began, but I had to start somewhere. There had to be some reason to first drag me in the weight room, because when I first began I had no idea that I would ever fall in love with this sport. Especially since I was not the biggest fan of lifting back when I started. It was very difficult for me, and I was very demoralized by my initial lack of strength. But like I said, I was stubborn and refused to stop. This led to my persistence, and showed me what I truly live for day in and day out. I'm glad you agree with my perception of cheat days. Because even though I am constantly living in the gym, it is always nice to enjoy the other pleasures life has to offer.

      Delete
  2. If you think of the reputation as something others perceive about you, then it is clear that other weightlifters will come to know your reputation, because they see you perform in the gym (and vice versa). Your friends who are not weight lifters but do observe your eating must get a sense that you show discipline there for a reason. But do they understand the other aspects of your reputation that you describe - especially about the decorum in the gym?

    There is a theory about developing expertise, often attributed to a guy named Anders Ericsson, where you on a repeated basis push yourself a little beyond what is your current best performance. This is called deliberate practice This is a difficult thing to do on your own, because of boredom or not feeling up to the challenge. People doing it as a profession often hire coaches for this reason.

    Do the other weight lifters spur you on in you efforts? If so, might this be the true value of having your reputation, so you can be part of a group who are mutually supportive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly no, my friends outside the gym do not truly understand what I regard as gym decorum. Sometimes, I describe it to them when I am frustrated with its violation, but nonetheless they see the matter as no big deal and understand very little about the gym. Other than the fact that I eat a lot and work out more than the average student. It is interesting that you mention the concept of deliberate practice. Especially because I always wish to push myself further, but there are days where I do not feel up to the challenge. That being said, I do concur that it is the other lifters that spur me in my efforts. I am very competitive, and being around other serious weight lifters entices me to strive for more. Other than that I feel I can develop an expertise in this field through my own methods. This is my true passion, and as a result am extremely intrinsically motivated.

      Delete